Recent Working Papers:
- The Long-Run Impacts of Same-Race Teachers (with Seth Gershenson, Cassandra M. D. Hart and Constance A. Lindsay) [pdf] [IZA Discussion Paper No. 10630]
- Genetic Ability, Wealth and Financial Decision-Making (with Daniel Barth and Kevin Thom). [pdf] [IZA Discussion Paper No. 10567]
- Teacher Expectations Matter (with Seth Gershenson and Kyungmin Kang, submitted). [pdf] [IZA Discussion Paper No. 10165] Press coverage: [IZA Newsroom] [Brookings Blog Post]
- Innovation and Diffusion of Medical Treatment (with Barton Hamilton, Andres Hincapie and Robert Miller). [pdf] [Animated Appendix]
- Positively Aware? Conflicting Expert Reviews and Demand for Medical Treatment (with Jorge Balat and Shaiza Qayyum). [pdf].
In Press / Forthcoming / Published:
- Health, Risky Behavior and the Value of Medical Innovation for Infectious Disease (with Tat Chan and Barton Hamilton). Review of Economic Studies. [pdf] [Published version]
- Who Believes in Me? The Effect of Student-Teacher Demographic Match on Teacher Expectations (with Seth Gershenson and Stephen B. Holt). Economics of Education Review. [IZA Discussion Paper No. 9202] [Published version] Press coverage: [NPR], [VOX], [Brookings], [Science]
- Why Medical Innovation is Valuable: Health, Human Capital and the Labor Market. Quantitative Economics. [Published version] Coverage: [Microeconomic Insights]
- Entertaining Malthus: Bread, Circuses and Economic Growth (with Lemin Wu, Rohan Dutta and David Levine). Forthcoming at Economic Inquiry. [pdf]
Revise & Resubmit:
- Health, Human Capital and Domestic Violence (with Gwyn Pauley, Mardge Cohen, Tracey Wilson, Barton Hamilton and Robert Pollak). Revise and resubmit at Journal of Human Resources. [pdf] [NBER Working Paper No. 22887]
- The Right Stuff? Personality and Entrepreneurship (with Barton Hamilton and Nidhi Pande). Revise and resubmit at Quantitative Economics. [pdf] [Appendix]
- Genes, Education and Labor Market Outcomes: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study (with Kevin Thom). Revise and resubmit at Journal of the European Economic Association. [pdf] Coverage: [Brookings Blog Post], [IZA Newsroom]
Additional Working Papers / Work in Progress
- We Should Totally Open a Restaurant: How Optimism and Overconfidence Affect Beliefs (with Stephanie A. Heger, submitted). [pdf] [Appendix]
- The Economic Value of Breaking Bad: Misbehavior, Schooling and the Labor Market (with Victor Ronda and Yu Zheng, submitted). [pdf] [Appendix] Press coverage: [Brookings Blog Posts 1 & 2] [FAZ (in German)]
- Mental Health, Human Capital and Labor Market Outcomes (with Chris Cronin and Matthew Forsstrom).
- How Venture Capital Affects Innovation (with Barton Hamilton, Matthew Higgins and Matthew White). Draft in preparation.