In Press / Forthcoming / Conditionally Accepted / Published Journal Articles:
- Health, Risky Behavior and the Value of Medical Innovation for Infectious Disease (with Tat Chan and Barton Hamilton). Review of Economic Studies. [pdf] [Published version]
- Who Believes in Me? The Effect of Student-Teacher Demographic Match on Teacher Expectations (with Seth Gershenson and Stephen B. Holt). Economics of Education Review. [IZA Discussion Paper No. 9202] [Published version]
- Why Medical Innovation is Valuable: Health, Human Capital and the Labor Market. Quantitative Economics. (Lead Article). [Published version]
- Entertaining Malthus: Bread, Circuses and Economic Growth (with Lemin Wu, Rohan Dutta and David Levine). Economic Inquiry. [pdf] [Published Version]
- We Should Totally Open a Restaurant: How Optimism and Overconfidence Affect Beliefs (with Stephanie A. Heger). Journal of Economic Psychology. [pdf] [Appendix] [Published version]
- The Right Stuff? Personality and Entrepreneurship (with Barton Hamilton and Nidhi Pande). Quantitative Economics. [Published Version] (NBER working paper w25006)
- Genetic Endowments and Wealth Inequality (with Daniel Barth and Kevin Thom). Journal of Political Economy. [pdf] (NBER working paper w24642)
- Teacher Expectations Matter (with Seth Gershenson and Kyungmin Kang). Review of Economics and Statistics. [pdf] [Appendix] (NBER working paper w25255)
- Genes, Education and Labor Market Outcomes: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study (with Kevin Thom). Journal of the European Economic Association. [pdf] (NBER working paper w25114)
- Health, Human Capital and Domestic Violence (with Gwyn Pauley, Mardge Cohen, Tracey Wilson, Barton Hamilton and Robert Pollak). Forthcoming at Journal of Human Resources. [pdf] [Appendix] (NBER working paper w22887)
Revise & Resubmit
- The Economic Value of Breaking Bad: Misbehavior, Schooling and the Labor Market (with Victor Ronda and Yu Zheng). Resubmitted to Journal of Political Economy [pdf] [Appendix] NBER working paper w25602)
- The Long-Run Impacts of Same-Race Teachers (with Joshua Hyman, Seth Gershenson, Cassandra M. D. Hart and Constance A. Lindsay). Revise and Resubmit at American Economic Journal – Economic Policy. [pdf] (NBER working paper w25254 and IZA Discussion Paper No. 10630)
- Innovation and Diffusion of Medical Treatment (with Barton Hamilton, Andres Hincapie and Robert Miller). Submitted. Revise and Resubmit at International Economic Review. [pdf] [Animated Appendix] (NBER working paper w24577)
- Rational Self-Medication (with Michael Darden). [pdf] (NBER working paper 25371)
Work in Progress
- What Good Are Treatment Effects without Treatment? Mental Health and the Reluctance to Use Talk Therapy (with Christopher J. Cronin and Matthew Forsstrom). [pdf]
- Genetic Endowments, Income Dynamics and Wealth Accumulation over the Lifecycle (with Daniel Barth, Kevin Thom and Mateo Velásquez). Draft in preparation.
- Innovation and Health Disparities During an Epidemic: The Case of HIV
(with Barton Hamilton, Andrés Hincapié and Emma Kalish). Draft in preparation.
Using Subjective Beliefs Data to Characterize Heterogeneity: A Machine Learning Approach (with Daniel Barth, Prerna Rakheja and Kevin Thom). Draft in preparation.
- Positively Aware? Conflicting Expert Reviews and Demand for Medical Treatment (with Jorge Balat and Shaiza Qayyum). [pdf] (NBER working paper 24820)
- Instability during Adolescence and Post-Secondary Education Choices: Assessing the Role of Beliefs about Negative Shocks (with Stefanie DeLuca, Seth Gershenson and Andrew Gray). Draft in preparation.
Other Publications, Non-Technical Summaries and Blog Posts
- The Power of Teacher Expectations: How Racial Bias Hinders Student Attainment (with Seth Gershenson). Education Next. [Link]
- Medical Innovation and the Labor Market: The Importance of Reducing Side Effects. Microeconomic Insights. [Link]
- Brookings Blog Posts
- VOX EU