Recent Working Papers:
- The Long-Run Impacts of Same-Race Teachers (with Seth Gershenson, Cassandra M. D. Hart and Constance A. Lindsay). [pdf] [IZA Discussion Paper No. 10630]
- Mental Health, Human Capital and Labor Market Outcomes (with Chris J. Cronin and Matthew Forsstrom). [pdf].
In Press / Forthcoming / Conditionally Accepted / Published Journal Articles:
- Health, Risky Behavior and the Value of Medical Innovation for Infectious Disease (with Tat Chan and Barton Hamilton). Review of Economic Studies. [pdf] [Published version]
- Who Believes in Me? The Effect of Student-Teacher Demographic Match on Teacher Expectations (with Seth Gershenson and Stephen B. Holt). Economics of Education Review. [IZA Discussion Paper No. 9202] [Published version] Press coverage: [NPR], [VOX], [Brookings], [Science]
- Why Medical Innovation is Valuable: Health, Human Capital and the Labor Market. Quantitative Economics. (Lead Article). [Published version]
- Entertaining Malthus: Bread, Circuses and Economic Growth (with Lemin Wu, Rohan Dutta and David Levine). Economic Inquiry. [pdf] [Published Version]
- We Should Totally Open a Restaurant: How Optimism and Overconfidence Affect Beliefs (with Stephanie A. Heger). Journal of Economic Psychology. [pdf] [Appendix]
- Genetic Endowments and Wealth Inequality (with Daniel Barth and Kevin Thom). Conditionally Accepted at Journal of Political Economy. [pdf]
- The Power of Teacher Expectations: How Racial Bias Hinders Student Attainment (with Seth Gershenson). Education Next. [Link]
- Medical Innovation and the Labor Market: The Importance of Reducing Side Effects. Microeconomic Insights. [Link]
Revise & Resubmit
- Health, Human Capital and Domestic Violence (with Gwyn Pauley, Mardge Cohen, Tracey Wilson, Barton Hamilton and Robert Pollak). Revise and resubmit at Journal of Human Resources. [pdf] [NBER Working Paper No. 22887]
- The Right Stuff? Personality and Entrepreneurship (with Barton Hamilton and Nidhi Pande). Revise and resubmit at Quantitative Economics. [pdf]
- Genes, Education and Labor Market Outcomes: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study (with Kevin Thom). Revise and resubmit at Journal of the European Economic Association. [pdf] Coverage: [Brookings Blog Post], [IZA Newsroom]
- The Economic Value of Breaking Bad: Misbehavior, Schooling and the Labor Market (with Victor Ronda and Yu Zheng). Revise and resubmit at Journal of Political Economy .[pdf] [Appendix] Press coverage: [Brookings Blog Posts 1 & 2] [FAZ (in German)]
- Teacher Expectations Matter (with Seth Gershenson and Kyungmin Kang). Revise and Resubmit at Review of Economics and Statistics. [pdf] [IZA Discussion Paper No. 10165] Press coverage: [IZA Newsroom] [Brookings Blog Post]
- Innovation and Diffusion of Medical Treatment (with Barton Hamilton, Andres Hincapie and Robert Miller). Submitted. [pdf] [Animated Appendix]
- Positively Aware? Conflicting Expert Reviews and Demand for Medical Treatment (with Jorge Balat and Shaiza Qayyum). [pdf] [Appendix]
Additional Working Papers / Work in Progress
- How Venture Capital Affects Innovation (with Barton Hamilton, Matthew Higgins and Matthew White). Draft in preparation.
- Measuring Variation in the Value of Medical Innovation across Sociodemographic Groups (with Barton Hamilton and Andres Hincapie). Draft in preparation.
- The Impact of Merit Awards on Non-Needy Student Matriculation (with Seth Gershenson and Raul Betancourt-Martinez). Draft in preparation.
- Instability during Adolescence and Post-Secondary Education Choices: Assessing the Role of Beliefs about Negative Shocks (with Stefanie DeLuca, Seth Gershenson and Andrew Gray). Draft in preparation.
- Genetic Endowments, Health Behaviors and Beliefs about Mortality (with Daniel Barth, Kevin Thom and Prerna Rakheja). Draft in preparation.